Thursday, May 08, 2008

Art Class

I'm taking a drawing and painting class one day a week at the local community college.

We started off with pencils and charcoal just drawing shapes and learning shading. I find charcoal to be far superior to pencil for getting my ideas across and making things looks more like actual things.

I haven't captured any of the pencil and charcoal output, so I'll have to try to remember to add that in here later. On the fourth class, I brought my paints and an 11x14" canvas. For this class, we had a model sitting in front of a lot of draped panels with some still life kinda stuff on tables near her. We were told to concentrate on an area of the scene which featured a lot of different cloth textures and colors and to work on the folds and how they interacted.

I stood just looking at the scene for about ten minutes, just totally unsure of what to do, then I reached out with my charcoal and started sketching on a paper. After about ten more minutes, when I was happy with the paper, I transferred the sketch to the canvas.

So... here is Woman with Drapes:

No comments: